What Is Marketing?
Why does Marketing matter to you and your Local Business?
Welcome to the Brilliant Ideas About Internet and Money Frequently Asked Questions Series, Part 1: What is Marketing?
David Packard, co-founder of Hewlett-Packard, once remarked,
“Marketing is too important to be left to the marketing people.”
How can that be? What is so important about Marketing? Who are your Marketing people? What benefit do they provide your Local Business?
Peter Drucker, the father of Business Consulting, often admonished us,
“The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself.”
What do you have in your Local Business if you do not have customers?
If you do not have enough customers, what changes do you need to make in your Local Business?
Furthermore, after studying the most successful Businesses of all time, Peter Drucker observed The Purpose of Marketing:
“Because the purpose of business is to create a customer, the business enterprise has two — and only two — basic functions: marketing and innovation. Marketing and innovation produce results; all the rest are costs. Marketing is the distinguishing, unique function of the business.”
Successful Marketing is therefore a systematic approach to the MarketPlace:
- Marketing is a System the sole purpose of which is to communicate with the MarketPlace.
- Marketing processes are specific conversations between Business and a Market.
Relationships start with a Single Conversation — Marketing Relationships are no different:
- Every conversation is a relationship between Business and a distinct set of customers and prospects.
- Every conversation takes place in a specific medium, whether print, radio, television or Internet.
What Relationships do you want with your Market?
- What conversations have you started with your Local Business customers?
- What conversations have you started with fully qualified prospects?
Will your best customers search for you? Or will they go to your competition?
Think about the conversation we started with you here a minute ago in this blog post. What about our message rings true with you and your Local Business?
To learn more about Internet, Money and your Local Business browse our Web Site and see if our ideas work for you and your Local Business. Look for our further conversations and Brilliant Ideas About Internet and Money !!!